Leadership is basically leading people from where they are to where they should be; this demands influence. When you call yourself a leader and no one is following you, you are just taking a walk.
There are things or qualities that people want to see in someone that leads them or want to lead them. The truth is that these qualities may not be in-born but they can be learner and developed.
Here are some qualities that will make people to follow you:
1. People want to see CONVICTION in you.
2. People want to see a sense of COMMITMENT in you.
3. They want to see CHARACTER in you.
4. People want to feel CONNECTION with you.
5. They want to see COMPASSION in you.
6. They want to feel CONFIDENCE in you.
7. They want to see COMPETENCE in you.
8. They want to see CONSISTENCY in you.
9. People want to see COURAGE in you.
You must lead yourself right before you lead others because it is only when you know they want that you can show others the way.
I call these qualities the C-Suite of leadership. If you can develop and improve yourself in them then people will form comradeship with you and together a great community is built.